Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Every Tuesday we want you to "go off" on whatever Saints-related topic is bothering you. Tell us how you feel and don't spare any expense. To submit your rant, send an e-mail to whodatsayteam@gmail.com. We will sift through the garbage and post the best stuff every Tuesday. If we get 5 good ones, we'll post them all. Happy complaining.

Last week, we brought you a report (from CBS columnist Pete Pricso) tabbing Reggie Bush as the most overrated player in the NFL. Prisco’s statement got us wondering just what Saints’ fans think of the ultra-talented, somewhat controversial running back. We asked you to send us your opinions. Here are a few we received:

Stan C.
Metairie, LA
-With my wife manning the remote control last night, I reluctantly watched the TV show Keeping up with the Kardashians. That crew, what a bunch of clowns! Anyway, it was the episode that was filmed partly in New Orleans where they tour the 9th Ward and eat at Brennan's restaurant. My wife really likes the show, so I have seen parts of several episodes. I was hoping to watch the Spurs-Lakers series, but my lobbying efforts were unsuccessful. The whole show, but mainly this most recent episode, has really struck a nerve with me. After thinking about the Reggie Bush situation, I can’t help but wonder, will Reggie ever become the superstar running back/ playmaker in the NFL that we fans all hope for, that the Saints need him to become? With Reggie, I feel there is too much glitz and not enough grit. That he is a cream puff, a pretty boy. I mean, seriously, it must be hard to focus on football with all the extracurricular B.S. that he is involved with. I know, you’re thinking, what about Peyton Manning, he is involved with all types of off-the-field distractions? My response is, Peyton is focused and he has proven himself ON THE FIELD. He can do whatever he wants. You say, “what about Tony Parker?” My response, sure he has a famous wife, but he also has championship rings. Is football Reggie’s top priority? I think it is, but the margin between football and his other priorities may not be wide enough. As a Saints fan, I really hope to be proven wrong because our team is better when Reggie is doing his thing. I hope to be eating crow after the 2008 season. But, so far, Reggie has lived off of his reputation at USC and his PRO DAY. Reggie has NOT gotten it done in the NFL!

Jonathan B.
-Hey, thanks for putting it out there, I'll keep reading it. and if my job didn't restrict me from posting, I'd do that too. Anyway about Reggie, if media hype equals what you are supposed to do, then he is a bust. But I don't care what the media had anticipated Reggie would do. His stats are low, especially YPC, but you can't name a Defense that says "Oh, we don't really need to be concerned with him." If he continues to play decoy, I don't give a shit, fine by me. But may God be with any corner on an island that's looking at him one-on-one

“RCR”
Reader Comment
-While Reggie hasn’t produced quite like we all hoped, he’s far from the most overrated player in the NFL.

Prisco doesn’t exactly give his criteria for the most over-rated player, but it seems like he’s really saying that Bush is the biggest bust.

Saying he’s overrated now means that he’s currently being hyped as something he’s not. At this point in the game, that’s not true. We all know that Reggie is more of a complement back at this stage of his career; nobody’s expecting him to carry the load without a power back like Deuce. So I don’t think it’s fair to call him overrated.

As for being a bust, that’s not fair either. He’s an integral part of our team, and played a HUGE part in our success in 2006.

So, using Prisco’s definition of “overrated,” who should win? My vote would be Mike Williams, now of the Titans. He was drafted #10, and has been an overweight bust. He has 44 catches in 3 years. According to him, he’s slimmed down to 242lbs. in order to try and compete again.

So let’s recap – Bush has been a major part of a successful team and has been a role player with the potential to be much more. Mike Williams is fat, slow, and has been on 3 teams in 3 years.

Who’s more overrated? Who’s more of a bust? Screw Priso. The shot at Kardashian’s huge ass just goes to show that this guy is writing more for jokers that would rather watch E! than real football fans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fellas,
my main concern is the one expressed by the first reader.....i have no doubt that reggie's first priority is football,i just wonder if it's enough for him to become great. and i understand the benefit he provides as a "decoy," but come on guys, we need for reggie to be the player we drafted him to be....a ridiculous playmaker and threat with the ball in his hands