Sunday, June 15, 2008

Who Dat News: Vilma Nearing 100%

News: The Saints prize off-season acquisition, Jonathan Vlima, is entering the last stage of his rehab, according to profootballweekly.com. “(The knee) feels like (it did) before surgery,” Vilma said. “The only difference is the muscles aren’t used to practicing. It’s been nine months since I’ve been on the field. I just have to get used to the plays again, running and cutting, the defensive and offensive system. I’m just getting acclimated to everything. I’m pretty much able to do everything,” he said. “I really need to be cognizant of when I’m trying to push it too hard and, fortunately, I haven’t been in that situation yet. I’m able to do everything. The question is: How much of everything should I be doing?”

WhoDatSay: Vilma will open the season as the Saints starting middle linebacker. The fall-back option, Mark Simoneau, remains on board, but it seems more evident that Simoneau will be on the bench as the more athletic, younger Vilma stakes claim to his position. When healthy, we know Vilma plays the run well (evident by his NFL best 169 tackles in 2005), but his ability to cover more ground in the secondary should allow Josh Bullocks, who's in a contract year and needs a healthy performance of his own if he wants to get paid, to help with over-the-top coverage on the perimeter. Then, perhaps Jason David will look less foolish. It's amazing how an athletic player in the middle of a defensive can make the other personnel look better. Kudos to Loomis and Payton -- they even ensured Vilma's protection by grabbing Sedrick Ellis in the draft. We like to see an off-season when personnel moves complement each other rather than contradict.

No comments: